In Spring and Summer I’m looking to use asparagus in just about any way that I can…so soup just has to come into play. And like all soups, there are a ton of different versions to put together. For this asparagus soup recipe, I add some potatoes and tarragon. By adding the potatoes, and blending them up, you can get a creamy texture (almost bisque like) without having to use any cream. And the tarragon…well, I just like the flavor and think it’s a great addition. In the recipe video, I show you how to make everything…hope you enjoy it, and leave a comment if you’d like. Enjoy!!
Recipe Overview & Keys to Success
Asparagus and Potato soup is pretty easy to make, but you should be careful of a few things:
- Make sure to use quality stock; chicken, vegetable, beef…whichever you want, but if the stock tastes bad, the soup will taste bad. For store bought, I prefer low sodium so the soup doesn't turn out too salty.
- I don’t shy away from using a bit of cream, but with the potatoes, I don’t think you really need it. Although a bit will help make an even more decadent soup. You can also keep the soup chunky if you’d like
- You don’t need to spend a lot of time trying to cut all the vegetable perfectly even; we are going to blend the soup, so don’t bother spending the time
- Finally, while the soup is great on its own, hot or cold, you may want to think about additional garnishes for the top, as they can really jazz up the final dish. I've added a bit of sour cream, but you can add some herbs, like additional chopped tarragon, or green onions. Or some garlic croutons, or bacon bits…really anything you’d like.
Ingredients for Asparagus Soup (for 4)
- 1 thick slice of bacon diced
- 1 yellow onion – coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 1 russet potato
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- ½ tablespoon of dry thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- 1.5 quarts of chicken stock
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Dice and sauté the bacon in a soup pot over medium heat until crisp.
- Add the onion and garlic, both coarsely chopped, and sauté until both are soft
- While the onion cooks, prepare the asparagus by chopping them into 1 – 2 inch pieces, and the potatoes by cutting them into 2x2 inch pieces
- Once the onions are soft and translucent add the dry thyme
- Add the chicken stock and then the potatoes
- Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just barely tender
- Add the chopped Asparagus, and continue to simmer until they are tender – about 4 minutes
- Taste the broth and season with salt and pepper as needed
- Use a blender (stick or regular) to blend the soup until smooth
- Add a small squeeze of lemon juice and stir to combine
- Taste again, and adjust seasoning as needed
Hope you enjoy this asparagus & potato soup. It’s obviously very healthy, and it’s very tasty. If you’d like, you can easily modify it for vegetarians, or use different herbs to subtly change the flavors. Leave me a comment and let me know how it goes.