Once I saw that Fritos got their start in Houston, the direction for my Texans inspired burger was pretty well set. The burger itself is a straight forward beef patty, seared off on the stove (although the grill would be great too). But of course, we're not going to stop there. The real action comes in the topping. I make some queso with good old Velveeta cheese, and spices (go as hot as you want). Now the queso is great on it's own, but to add some more flavor, and importantly more texture, mix in some Frito corn chips. How could the best that combo, topped on a burger, not be great. Enjoy Texans fans!
- Seeded burger bun
- 5 ounces of ground beef
- 6 ounces of Velveeta cheese
- Dash of hot sauce
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of Cumin powder
- 4 Tablespoons of salsa
- Fritos Corn Chips
- Olive oil
- Oil a skillet and place it over a medium-high heat.
- Saute half a sliced onion. Add salt and toss for 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Put the Velveeta cheese in a bowl.
- Add hot sauce, cumin powder, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 Tablespoons of salsa.
- Mix & toss, then microwave for 2 minutes.
- Wipe the pan and add more oil.
- Form a beef patty dimpled in the center to avoid shrinking, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook one side for about 3 minutes, then flip the patty and cook other side for about 2 minutes.
- Kill the heat, remove the patty, and let it rest on a plate.
- Top the patty with onions.
- Toast the bun.
- Put Fritos into the melted Velveeta cheese sauce and mix until coated.
- Plate the bun and place cooked patty upon it.
- Top with a generous helping of Frito Queso.
- Add top half of bun and cut the sandwich in half.
- Serve with a side of Fritos, of course.
How can such a meaty, cheesy, crunchy combo be anything less than phenomenal? Enjoy your Queso Frito Burger, Houston Texans fans!