Seattle Seahawks Coffee & Cherry Burger
Seattle is a town famous for fabulous, flavorful foods. As as I thought about the perfect Seahawks inspired burger, it was hard to choose from so many tasty options.
However, given Starbucks HQ is there, coffee came to me pretty quickly as an option. Coffee based rubs are popular with beef, and can give a dark, rich, slightly bitter flavor. So, I dust the burgers with a quick coffee rub, which lends a slightly bitter, smoky, spicy flavor to the burger. To balance that bitterness out, I add some sweet cherry jam to sautéed onions (extra credit if you can get actual Rainier cherry jam), The onions & jam come together to make a sweet/tangy sauce that works perfect with these burgers. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Ingredients for Seattle Seahawks Coffee & Cherry Burger
- Burger bun
- ½ pound of ground beef
- Smoked Gouda cheese
- Instant coffee
- Cherry jam (or preserves)
- White wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of Starbucks coffee grounds
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- Olive oil
Directions for Seahawks Coffee & Cherry Burger
- Slice an onion and throw it into a deep pan with just enough oil to sautee the onion.
- Add salt and pepper. Cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix fresh coffee grounds, brown sugar, chili powder, and paprika.
- Form a beef patty and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- When onions are cooked, stir in 2-3 tablespoons of cherry jam.
- Add a splash of white wine vinegar to the onion-jam mixture.
- Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Sear the patty in a clean pan over medium heat, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When almost cooked, add cheese to top of patty.
- Turn off heat, remove patty from pan, and let it rest.
- Plate a split bun, and put cherry-onion mixture on one half of the bun.
- Place burger onto the bun.
- Top the burger with more of that sweet, tangy cherry-onion mixture.
- Place top of bun and cut sandwich in half.
There's nothing quite like the flavors of Seattle!