Truffled Mashed Potatoes
I’ve published recipes for mashed potatoes before, but I just can’t stop, because truth be told, they are one of my favorite comfort foods. I make them all the time and everyone loves them (who wouldn’t love my cooking), but sometimes I want to take the humble mashed potato and make an elegant, upscale version. In this recipe, I show you a Truffle Mashed Potato that does just that. Truffles are pretty rare treat for me, reserved for special occasions, but on those occasions they are worth every penny. The aroma the truffle brings to the mashed potato is totally unique and absolutely delicious. So, if you’re ever looking to make an upscale comfort food, this is a great recipe for you.
RECIPE FOR TRUFFLE MASHED POTATOES
Recipe Overview & Keys to Success
- To make the best Truffle Mashed Potatoes, be aware of these few things
- When cooking the potatoes, start them off in room temperature water. That will help make sure the potato is cooked all the way through, without getting over-cooked outsides.
- It’s best to simmer the potatoes, rather than boiling. Again, that keeps them from over cooking; and you want to pull them out of the water once they are tender
- Potatoes can use a good amount of seasoning, and a good amount of butter/cream. So don’t skimp – especially if you’re pumping them up with truffle I sometimes make mashed potatoes up to an couple hours in advance – which is fine. But if you do, hold off on adding the truffle until the very last minute
Ingredients for Truffle Mashed Potatoes (for 2)
- 1 large russet potato
- 5 – 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream (or milk if preferred)
- 1/4 ounce fresh truffle or 1 tablespoon jarred truffle pate
- Salt & pepper
Truffle Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and wash the potato, and then dice it into one to two inch cubes
- Put the chopped potato into room temperature water and put the pot over the heat to bring it to a simmer
- Continue to simmer until the potatoes are tender, and then drain well, and add back to the pot
- Add a few tablespoons of butter and cream to the potatoes, along with salt and pepper, and then mash (or rice) the potatoes
- Continue to add butter, cream, salt and pepper in small amounts tasting as you go, until you’ve got the mashed potatoes to where you like them
- Right before you want to serve the mashed potatoes, add the tuffle (if using fresh, use a grater to finely grate the truffle into the potato) and stir together until incorporated
- Serve and enjoy!