Veal Scallopini with Mushroom Cream Sauce
A good Mushroom Cream Sauce will go with just about anything, but one of my favorites is Veal Scallopini. In this video, I show you a Recipe for Veal Scallopini with my favorite Mushroom Cream Sauce, that will knock your socks off. The veal is super tender, and very mild flavored and is the perfect vehicle for this wonderful sauce. I love the flavor and texture of well cooked mushrooms (used chanterelles), and how can you go wrong with cream. If you can’t find veal, or if it’s not your thing, the recipe works just as well with chicken or pork. I hope you enjoy it much as I do.
Recipe Overview & Keys to Success
For your Recipe for Veal Scallopini with Mushroom Cream Sauce to be the best it can, try to make sure you do the following:
- Veal scallopini is pounded out very thinly and it’s easy to over cook. Don’t overcook it, or you’ll turn a tender, delicate piece of veal into shoe leather. Veal this thin, literally takes about 2 minutes total cooking time.
- I really like to cook the mushrooms for the sauce to a well-done stage, where most of the internal water is evaporated, the flavors are concentrated, and the texture is slightly firm. I don’t love lightly cooked mushrooms as I think they can be a bit mushy/slimy.
- Because both the veal and the sauce is rich, I like fairly small servings with a light side dish, but you can easily scale this up for a bigger appetite.
RECIPE FOR VEAL SCALLOPINI WITH MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE
Ingredients (2 servings)
- ~6 veal scallopini – about 14 ounces total
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (I used chanterelle, but use any type)
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Olive oil
Veal Scallopini with Mushrooms
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Break a large saute pan to temperature over medium heat, coat with olive oil and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and toss
- Cook the mushrooms until they are browned and most of the water is evaporated, and remove them to a holding bowl
- Season the veal scallopini on both sides with salt and pepper
- In the pan you cooked them mushrooms in, raise the temperature to high, and add the butter, allowing it to melt over high heat
- Add veal scallopini to the pan and sauté for about 1 minute, then flip and cook another minute until just cooked through
- Remove the scallopini to a plate and put the plate into the 200 degree oven
- Add the shallots and garlic to the sauté pan and allow them to soften for ~30 seconds
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, and then add the chicken stock
- Reduce the liquid by half, and then add back the mushrooms, tarragon, and the Dijon mustard
- Stir to combine, and then add the cream
- Again reduce, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper
- Pull the veal out of the oven, plate and spoon the mushroom cream sauce over the top
Serve it up and enjoy!
Wine Recommendation: With this veal scallopini and mushroom recipe, I think you can happily serve either a Chardonnay or a Pinot Noir. An oaky Chardonnay will work well with the cream in the sauce, and the veal is light enough not to over power it. For something more robust, try a Pinot Noir. I’m a big fan of Pinot and mushrooms, and the light tannin in the wine will be tempered by the creamy sauce.