How to Make Sundried Tomatoes
I love coming up with new recipe for tomatoes, and incorporating sun-dried tomatoes into your dishes open up all kinds of new possibilities. In this technique video, I show you how you can make your own sun-dried tomatoes at home, in the oven. It takes a bit of time, as they roast slowly in a low temperature oven, but there’s so little work involved, you can make them with your eyes closed. Once made, these sun dried tomatoes are great on salads or in sauces, you can add them as garish, or on sandwiches, or my favorite is simply tossed with some pasta, basil and olive oil. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
How to Make Sun Dried Tomatoes
- I use cherry tomatoes in this video, but you can certainly use anything you’d like; quartered Roma, or Plum tomatoes work really well
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, or if using larger tomatoes, slice into quarters or eighths
- Lay them out in single layer in a sauté pan or baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt
- Place them into a 250 degree oven, and let them cook for anywhere from 3 – 4 hours
- You’re looking for the water to be fully evaporated, and the tomatoes will reduce in size to about a ¼ of what they started with; it would be really hard to overcook them
- Remove them, and let them cool
- You can store these for a least a week in the fridge and longer in the freezer
Hope you enjoy these little treats…they are super tasty.