Apple and Black Bean Salsa
Quick salsas are a great way to “dress up” a dish with both flavor and very cool presentations. They are so easy to make and there are almost no rules…so you can make them out of whatever ingredients, for whatever occasion you like. I love using apples in savory cooking, and in this recipe video for Apple and Black Bean Salsa, which is light, crunchy and flavorful. The apple brings a really nice, sweet, crunchy texture, that contrasts really well with the creaminess of the black beans. Of course, we’ll through some herbs in, and a bit of lime juice for the tartness. Any as an option (I take the option) you can add some jalapeno pepper, for a little heat. I love to use this on tacos (with pork tacos it killer) as a side for a Mexican flavored chicken or fish…or frankly just on it’s own with some greens. Hope you enjoy it, as much as I do!!
Recipe Overview & Keys to Success
For this Apple and Black Been Salsa you just need to watch a few things:
- You’ll want to dice the apple about the same size of as your black beans. Cut that size, there’s a nice harmony by the two, and they’ll be able to live in balance…instead of massive chunks of apple with some bean floating around.
- If you use canned black beans (I do), make sure to drain and wash them well. The liquid they come in…is not good.
- The acid in the lime juice will keep the apples from turned brown, so put it on the apple right away, and toss to coat.
- Make sure you keep the flavors in balance; so taste as you go, adding a little bit at a time. If you’d like to add more cilantro, more apple, more whatever, than I suggest, that’s cool. I’ll just say that in simple dishes like this, each ingredient plays a role, and you want to make sure one doesn’t over power the others. That includes seasoning correctly with salt and pepper.
- 1 Apple
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 lime (for the juice)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon red or green jalapeño
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and dice the apple into 1/4 inch dice – about the same size as the beans
- Add a bit of lime juice to the apples and toss to prevent them from turning brown
- Rinse the bean off (if using canned) under cold water to remove the canning liquid and shake them dry
- Add the beans, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro to the apples, along with a bit more lime juice, and season with salt and pepper
- Toss everything together, and taste
- Adjust the lime juice, salt and pepper, until you get it to where you want it…and serve
Hope you enjoy it!