Pittsburgh Steelers Primanti Burger
I'm sure just about every Pittsburgh native knows Primanti Brothers, the sandwich chain famous in Pittsburgh since 1933. The chain is known as a sandwich shop where fries and cole slaw become part of the sandwich, instead of being served on the side.
This is where I got the idea for my Steelers burger. This burger is a seared beef patty, covered with provolone cheese (melted to perfection). The cheeseburger is then placed between two slices of fresh French bread, and topped with french fries, cole slaw, and your choice of fixings...tomato and onion for me!Ingredients
- 6 inches of French Bread, split lengthwise
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 slices of Provolone cheese
- French fries (any kind)
- Cole slaw
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Make some French fries (or buy an already cooked).
- Form the ground beef into a dimpled patty of about the same size as the bread, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Slice and plate the French bread.
- Place olive oil in a pan and heat at medium-high.
- Sear the patty for about 3 minutes on each side.
- When nearly done, add cheese on top of patty.
- Cover pan and let cheese melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove burger from pan and let it rest.
- Spread mustard, mayo, ketchup, or whichever condiments are your favorite onto the French bread.
- Place the burger patty onto the bread.
- Add tomato, lettuce and/or any other toppings you like.
- Top the toppings with French fries.
- Top the fries with cole slaw.
- Add the top slice of French bread and cut the sandwich in half.
This is one seriously good, traditional American burger. Way to go, Steel Town!