San Diego Chargers California Burger
Given there are 3 California NFL teams, I knew I’d end up making a “California Burger” at some point. The San Diego Chargers get the honor of the state’s namesake burger, if for no other reason, than it’s probably the healthiest burger on the menu, and given San Diego has beach weather 12 months a year, they stay pretty damn fit! My California burger is a well seasoned chicken patty, seared off on the stove top, and then served up with fresh lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, avocado…and cheating just a bit on the health side, a couple strips of bacon. Simple and straight forward, its fresh, light and delicious! Go Chargers!Ingredients
- Seeded hamburger bun
- 1/3 pound ground chicken
- 2 strips bacon
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Heirloom tomato
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Season the ground chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Mix it with your hands.
- Form the meat into a patty.
- Put about 3 Tablespoons of oil in a non-stick skillet, and place it over a medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, sear the patty for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Flip the patty when one side is done.
- Add a slice of cheese.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat for about 3 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove the patty to a plate and let rest 3-4 minutes.
- Split the bun and spread mustard on it.
- Place the bottom half of the bun on a plate.
- Add the patty.
- Add a tomato slice.
- Add lettuce
- Add bacon
- Add 2 or 3 slices of avocado
- Add the top of the bun, and cut the sandwich in half.
- Garnish the plate with mixed greens.
Simple and straight forward, this California chicken burger recipe is fresh, light and delicious! If you're really on a diet, eat only half. Go, Chargers!