San Francisco 49ers Zinfandel Burger
I live in San Francisco, and one of the first "foods" I fell in love with when I moved here was the wonderful diversity of Northern California wine - and so I needed to work some wine into my San Francisco 49ers burger. Zinfandel is the perfect choice. I use about a cup, to slowly braise some onions down until they are super tender and sweet - almost jam like. They make the perfect topping for a beef burger along with some tangy blue cheese, melted right into the burger. Of course, as we're in SF, we've got to use sourdough for the bun. Hope the 9'ers fans love this burger as much as I do.Ingredients
- Sourdough bun
- 8 ounces of ground beef
- 1 cup of red wine (Zinfandel)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Blue cheese
- Balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Oil a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Slice a whole yellow onion and put the slices into the oiled pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 20-25 minutes until onions are browned.
- Add Zinfandel to the onions and mix.
- Lower the heat so the wine can reduce.
- Add a pinch of sugar.
- Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add a splash of Balsamic vinegar.
- Keep cooking over low heat until mixture is reduced to a jam-like consistency.
- Form a dimpled beef patty, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear patty in the pan for about 2 minutes on each side.
- With about a minute of cooking time left, add blue cheese to top of burger.
- Remove burger from heat and let rest.
- Top with hot onions and let sit for a minute.
- Place burger onto a sandwich roll.
- Place top half of the sandwich roll and cut the burger in half.
That's one classy kinda cheeseburger, and I hope it does the Niners proud.
Comments (1 )