One of the greatest things about making your own pasta, is that you can make pastas with different ingredients…flavored pastas!! In this recipe video, I show you how to make a pecorino and black pepper pasta that is absolutely awesome. In addition to the freshness and tender texture that homemade pasta pasta gives you, this version has some extra richness and spice from the black pepper and cheese. In fact, when I make this pasta, I generally serve it with a very simple sauce that really lets the pasta shine and be the main act.
Ingredients (For 2 – 3 servings)
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Eggs (about 1.5 to 2 eggs for every cup of flour)
- Olive Oil - tablespoon
- Pecorino cheese – ¼ cup finely grated
- Black Pepper – teaspoon of fine fresh ground
- Salt and Pepper
Recipe Overview and Keys to success
- Regarding the quantities above. The egg to flour ratio is going to vary. You may need more or less flour…but remember it’s easy to add more flour (hard to take it away). Generally you need about 2 eggs, per cup of flour, and that amount will yield enough pasta for 2 people. However, the recipe scales up very easily, and when I make pasta I tend to make a lot, and freeze what I don’t use.
- It is possible to overdo the cheese and pepper. So err on the side of less, not more
- When mixed together, the dough should be firm like hard play dough, and not sticking to your hands
Making the pasta
- I prefer to use the use the well method for making pasta (but you can use a mixer if you’d like)
- Form your well with the flour, and crack in your eggs. I like to whisk them together just a bit then add the black pepper and cheese. Again, whisk until the egg, cheese and pepper come together, and then incorporate the flour until the dough comes together.
- Watch me use the well method here.
- Mix until the dough takes up most of the flour, is firm, and doesn’t stick to your hands
- Continue to knead the dough for about 10 minutes
- Wrap in plastic and allow the pasta dough to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes
Rolling out the Pasta Dough
- Watch me roll out pasta dough here
- You should roll the dough through the widest setting on your machine 8 – 9 times to further knead it
- Then set the rollers one setting more narrow and roll the dough through again; repeat until you get to the desired thickness
Hope you enjoy it, and leave me a comment to let me know how it goes.